We partner with you to evaluate existing systems, identify gaps and areas of improvement, and develop best-in-class processes. Our practices are tailored to fit your technology environment and business needs.
ETL (Extract-Transform-Load ) testing is done to make sure that the relevant data has been loaded successfully from the source to the data warehouse.
Basically, the data warehouses are extremely vulnerable at the time of adding records, unlike the relational database models. So, a structured procedure known as ETL is followed, that does bulk addition of data.
The overall ETL process comprises of 3 steps:
At Skytesters, our team of expert software testers are aware of the perils that can be faced by data warehouses. We ensure that your system follows the whole process minutely at the time of data migration.
ETL testing at Skytesters
At Skytesters, the ETL testing is carried out in five stages
- Data sources and requirements identification.
- Acquisition of the data.
- Dimensional Modelling and Business logics implementation
- Data Building and population
- Report building
Types of ETL testing services from Skytesters :
Skytesters’ ETL testing services provide you an overall system analysis, that identifies various architectural concerns within the system. Our prime testing services include the following :
- Production Validation Testing: Testing done to verify the correctness of the order of data that’s being moved into production.
- Source to target testing : Validation of the transformed data values.
- Application upgrade: Data testing and comparison of the extracted values between the older and newer applications.
This stage includes the testing of :
- data length check '
- data type check
- constraint/index checking
- Data Completeness Testing : Verification of expected data load to the target from the source.
- Data Accuracy Testing : Testing accuracy of the loaded data.
- Data Transformation Testing: Conducting an overall test of the data transformation that has taken place from the source to the warehouse.
- Data Quality Testing : This stage includes both syntax and reference tests to identify dirty or null data and check the data quality as per data models.
- Incremental ETL testing: An integrity test of the existing data with reference to the latest data addition.
- Navigation/GUI Testing: A complete check of GUI or the relevant navigational aspects of the front end report.
Extract-Transform-Load or ETL is a process in which data is loaded from a source system to the data warehouse. Data is usually extracted from the OLTP (On-line Analytical Processing) database, transformed into the required form so as to match the schema and finally loaded into the data warehouse database. ETL testing is ideal for companies dealing majorly with historical data such as financial, travel, etc.
When implementing an Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) system for business intelligence, the major risk lies in rushing a data warehouse into service without testing it thoroughly. Skytesters ETL testing process ensures that all your systems and data are tested systematically for bugs, errors, and vulnerabilities before the data is integrated and made available.
Our ETL Testing Services
Our highly talented team of software testers is well trained to work on different technologies and testing environments. Some of the key ETL testing services we provide include:
Source to Target Testing
This type of testing is carried out to check whether the data values which have been transformed are the expected data values or not. This ensures data compatibility and prevents any risk of data loss.
Production Validation Testing
This testing is done on data when it is being moved to the production systems. The data in the production system must be in correct order without which the whole process of transfer would become useless. Our services ensure that the data does not compromise the production systems' integrity.
Testing for Application Upgrades
Under this service, we check if the data extracted from the older repository or application is the same as the data present in the new application. These can be automatically generated hence saving considerable development time for your data warehouse developers.
A metadata repository containing all information about source, target, mappings, transformations, etc. is extremely important in ETL. Skytesters metadata testing involves data length check, testing data type, and index/constraint check, allowing you to maintain a steady control over your organization's overall information systems.
Data Completeness Testing
This testing aggregates actual data between the source and the target for columns with simple transformation or no transformation. This is done to check if all the expected data is loaded onto the target from source in a correct manner.
Data Accuracy Testing
This is a type of testing which ensures that the data is loaded correctly and transformed as expected. Our testers are experts at testing the accuracy and completeness of your data, and follow time-tested procedures in order to ensure complete data integrity.
Data Transformation Testing
In many cases data transformation cannot be done by writing just one SQL query and comparing the output with the target. In our transformation testing process, multiple SQL queries are written to run each row and verify the transformational rules.
Data Quality Testing
We provide data quality tests which include syntax and reference tests. This is done to avoid any kind of error caused due to different scenarios such as incorrect order numbers or dates during the business process.
We provide GUI/navigation testing support to check if the GUI aspects or navigation of the front end are functioning properly, and generate an exhaustive report for the same.
Incremental ETL Testing
We provide incremental ETL testing services to check the data integrity of new and old data with the addition of the new data. It also verifies that the updates and inserts are being processed as expected during the incremental ETL process.
Skytesters ETL Testing Process
Skytesters produces high-quality ETL testing services to global customers according to their business requirements. We follow a 6-step streamlined and systematic ETL testing process in order to provide world-class services to our clients:
- Understanding of Requirements
- Test Planning and Estimation
- Designing of Test Case
- Test Execution with Bug Reporting
- Summary and Report Analysis
Why Choose Skytesters for ETL Testing Services?
Skytesters has been producing high quality ETL testing services to customers around the world. Expanding your ETL testing needs to Skytesters comes with its own set of benefits, including:
- Our team of highly experienced software testers is trained to work with the latest ETL testing tools and technologies and is updated with the best practices.
- We provide independent verification and validation of your ETL process if required.
- Your developers receive immediate access to the test documentation to study the results of the test and gain a better understanding of it.
- Our testing engineers can assure complete adherence to new quality standards and increase your testing coverage.
- We help you organize large repositories of data in an efficient manner.
- We provide the best quality services at competitive prices within a quick turnaround time.
Hire the Best ETL Testers at Skytesters
Skytesters has been providing ETL testing and software testing services to global clients for couple of years now. Our experience in working with several clients has provided us with the ability to understand different business models and provide the required ETL testing services customized as per their needs and requirements. The applications tested by us are known to run smoothly without any errors and provide high performance efficiency gains.